Blueberry Pikelets

I think I may have caught man flu from mr13. I'm popping cold and flu tablets and dragging my knuckles as I attempt to get the bare necessities done.
Someone once told me, "Our body only craves what it needs."
I have tried to reasure myself with this point whenever I'm hiding in the corner scoffing down piles of chocolate but no, it's not quite right is it?

Perhaps today though, I could begin to believe there is some truth to that claim. I'm tired, I'm sick and I want blueberries.



I've said it before, I don't believe in the 'superfood' hype. It's a convenient marketing term. One that, when used, drives the prices of said 'superfood' sky high.

Blueberries are however, very good for giving the immune system that little extra boost with it's high vitamin C and antioxidants. You'll also benefit from the vitamin B6 assisting with your energy levels.

The rest of the pikelets, yeah, not so great but give me break, I'm sick!
I do call these pikelets indulgent but it is indulgence with only half the guilt.

Blueberry Pikelets


2 cups self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar (can substitute vanilla essence)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
150g blueberries

• Mix dry ingredients together in a medium to large bowl.
• Stir in eggs and milk (and vanilla essence if using it) until batter is a smooth pouring consistency. If mixture is too thick, you can add a little milk at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
• Add blueberries and stir.
• Heat a large frypan/skillet to medium high.
• You can use a small amount of butter or oil if necessary to keep pikelets from sticking to the base.
• Using a soup ladle or large spoon, spoon mixture into frypan - about 3-4 tablespoons per pikelet.
• Cook on one side until bubbles form and being to burst on the surface(about 2 minutes), turn each pikelet and cook for a further 1.5-2 minutes.

If the pikelets are too browned, turn your stove down a little and wait for the pan to cool a little before adding more mixture.

Make it with no added sugar:
Replace sugar and one egg with 2 mashed bananas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full-time Parent Claims 'Sanity Day'.

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

ANZAC Biscuits