DIY Onion Flakes - Oven Dried

I love onion! I don't think it likes me quite so much so I like to try and get as much onion flavour without the resulting after effects (not pleasant for anyone sharing the lounge with me). TMI? Sorry guys but if you can empathise, you might want to try these.


I've used store bought onion flakes in the past all the while being concerned, not only about the appearance of it but also the strange flavour that accompanies it. Although nothing is listed on the labels apart from onion, I can't help but feel there is something else there. Ever get that feeling?

Unable to shake that feeling, I made the decision to start making my own. I will never look back! I now dry my own garlic too which uses the same method.

I don't have a dehydrator. Oh my, that would probably change my life forever.
I use the ol' oven.
This takes time but very little work from you.....

DIY Onion Flakes
• Peel and cut up onions - if you like chunky flakes, cut them larger or for small flakes you can dice the onion. *Garlic should be sliced or diced very thin as it retains more moisture than onion.
• Place the onion in a single layer on a baking tray and place close to the centre of your oven at 70°C (preferably no higher than 100°C).
• Close the door and leave for 2 hours.
• Check after 2 hours, if the onion is still slightly moist, leave for another hour and check again. Continue to repeat this step until onion resembles flakes and feels dry. 
If the flakes feel dry, turn off the oven and leave the door slightly open for several hours (I leave mine overnight).

That's it, you've just made your own onion or garlic flakes or if, like me, you like to multitask, you've just made both at the same time!

Once dry, the flakes can easily be broken down
into smaller pieces or use a mortar and pestle to grind into powder.
Store in an airtight container in your spice cupboard.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full-time Parent Claims 'Sanity Day'.

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

Butterscotch Pudding - Self Saucing