Rustic Pumpkin Scones

If I haven't said it before let me make it clear now, I am a lazy cook. If there is a shortcut, I will find it. I'm also not a big fan of the perfectly geometric. Let's face it, when you're cooking for kids, they don't really care if it's pretty, well mine don't anyway.

If you really want to, you can reduce the amount of pumpkin to make a dryer mix, roll
it out and use cutters, I prefer the 'scoop and dump' technique myself.

I choose to use muscovado sugar and Kent pumpkin for their flavours. Kent pumpkin has a natural sweetness when baked so you don't need to add much sugar (don't add any if prefer) but muscovado (unrefined cane sugar) adds a richer flavour which is definitely worth it in my opinion. If you don't have muscovado sugar you could substitute another type but be aware that a syrup could upset the wet/dry balance and make the mixture too sloppy.

Rustic Pumpkin Scones

200g cold mashed kent pumpkin
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
80g dark muscovado sugar
40g butter at room temperature
1 egg

• Preheat oven to 200°C
• Cream butter and sugar together, on high, with electric mixer. Add egg and continue beating until well incorporated then mix in the cold pumpkin.
• Add flour and salt and mix on low speed until well combined. Mixture should be moist enough to scoop but firm enough to hold it's shape.

• Scoop heaped tablespoon portions onto greased or lined baking tray.
• Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Please, let me know what you think of my rustic pumpkin scones. I hope you enjoy them!

Celebrating kid friendly eats on Wednesdays!
See more recipes on What Kids Eat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full-time Parent Claims 'Sanity Day'.

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

Butterscotch Pudding - Self Saucing