Simple Massaman Curry

I love a good massaman curry. Unfortunately, the recipe I’ve use in the past has 20 separate ingredients and is a bit fiddly and time consuming. Worth every minute, I can assure you of that, but when I’m wrestling my hyperactive snotballs beautiful children through that final stretch of the day, I struggle to keep track of complex recipes (even when I’m the one who wrote it) with all the commotion and constant interruptions.

I miss cooking without a child swinging from my arm and another tipping ingredients all over the bench!

Thankfully, I’ve found a solution. It's not the 5 star, gourmet dish I’d like it to be but it’s better than the take away Thai up the road and a whole lot cheaper.
Notes: *My kids seem to enjoy a bit of spice but if you prefer a milder curry, use massaman curry paste instead with half the peanut butter. **Need NUT FREE? Peanuts can be substituted with cashews or left out altogether. Tahini or peanut butter substitute could be used.

Simple Massaman Curry




---Ingredients---
1 brown onion, cut into wedges
2-3 potatoes, cut into large chunks
5-600g blade steak, cut into large chunks (could easily use another cut)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
35g maesri red curry paste
2/3 cup unsalted peanuts
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup hot water
3/4 cup coconut cream

---Method---
•Lightly brown potatoes in a small amount of oil in a hot pan with onion. •Stir in beef for about 2 minutes, then add garlic.
•Turn down heat to medium and add curry paste, water and peanuts. Simmer (lid on) for about half an hour, keeping an eye on the liquid and topping up water if necessary, until potatoes are cooked through.
•Add peanut butter and coconut cream simmer a further 5 minutes.



See Related Recipes:

Thai Style BBQ Chicken
Thai Style Satay Sauce



Comments

  1. I don't have any kids hanging off of me as I cook dinner any more, but I still prefer a quicker, simpler recipe. I will not be making mine less spicy, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Karen. I made the "mistake" of using double the red curry paste once. Although nobody else liked it, I must admit, I was pretty smitten with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Full-time Parent Claims 'Sanity Day'.

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

ANZAC Biscuits